Fundamentals of Design
The first module introduces design fundamentals, covering various aspects of the initial design development.
– You will be introduced to different elements and principles of design that will be the foundation for your design development.
– Understanding Different aspects of Art, Craft and Design and studying the work by different artists and craftsmen.
– Learn to analyse and develop an eye for the finer details beginning your design journey.
Welcome To FDI!
How to Use Our Course
What do I Need?
Software and Devices
What is Fashion Design?
What is Fashion Design?
Introduction to Art, Craft, & Design
What is Art?
Forms of Art
What is Craft?
Types of Craft
What is Design?
Categories of Design
Classification of Design
Art, Craft, and Design Process
Elements Of Design
What are the Elements of Design?
Principles Of Design
What are the Principles of Design?
The 9 Major Principles of Design are:
Unity and Harmony
Colour Systems and Colour Mixing
Work Health & Safety Standards
The module helps understand the responsibilities of a safe work environment and applying quality standards.
– Learning about the different practices followed to maintain the Standards that apply to the TCF industry.
– Knowledge about the various risk and safety management procedures.
– Learning about quality assurance and the various aspects of quality control in the fashion industry.
Work Health Safety & Quality Standards
WHS Policies & Procedures
Importance of WHS Policies
WHS Regulatory Framework
WHS: Hierarchy of Control Measures
ILO–Safety and Health in Textile, Clothing and Footwear
Terms and Definitions
Safe Work Environment
Worker Rights & Responsibilities
Health and Safety Representatives (HSRS)
Hazards and Risks
Safety Rules & Instructions
Important Safety Rules & Instructions
Safe Sewing Machine Use
Safe Scissors Use
Safe Needles Use
Safe Spray Guns Use
Safe Iron Use
Safe Delivery And Storage
Personal Protective Equipment
What is Personal Protective Equipment?
What is Apparel Quality?
How do Apparel Standards Work?
The Fashion Industry
In this module, you will learn how the fashion industry, a multibillion-dollar global enterprise devoted to the business of making and selling clothes, functions.
– You will learn about the fashion calendar and the important aspects of planning for fashion seasons.
– You will learn about Legendary fashion designers, world-class fashion houses/ boutiques, museums, exhibitions, and fashion shows.
– Knowledge about the big fashion world out there beyond the fashion capital cities.
– You will learn about terms and terminology associated with the Fashion Industry.
Welcome to the World of Fashion
Introduction to the World of Fashion Design
Brief History on Fashion Design
Divisions of Apparel
High-Street Fashion and the Mass Market
Size and Age Divisions
Baby (Preemie, 0-24 Months)
Little Kid (4-6x)
Big Kid/Tween (7-16)
Misses and Petite
Types of Apparel for Women
Loungewear and Lingerie
Tops and Trousers
Dresses and Skirts
Working a Year Ahead in Fashion
Textiles & Clothing
This module will teach you about textile fibres, yarns, fabric types, characteristics, and design.
– You will learn about various aspects of the properties & process of fibre to final fabric.
– You will learn the textile development process and identification of fabrics that will help you further develop your collection.
– You will study about the technical, smart and emerging textiles.
Introduction: What Are Textiles?
Overview: TCF Industry
Differentiating Between Fiber, Yarn & Fabrics
Classification of Fibres
Types of Yarn
Manufacturing Process of Yarn
Features & Characteristics of Fibre, Yarn & Fabric
Common Fabric Defects
Fashion History & Contextual Studies
This Module highlights the fashion trends and contextual studies through the key designers, styles and periods to trace the evolution of historical fashion in the social, economic and political contexts.
– You will be able to understand the factors that affect the fashion during a particular period.
– It will help you understand the process of fashion evolution that will become an inspiration to develop contemporary fashion ideas that are relevant to the current times.
Introduction: What is Fashion?
Early Fashion Icons
The Genesis of Couture.
What is the Function of Designers?
The Modern Era
The Designer Decades and Globalization
Current Fashion Icons
Legendary Designers Mcqueen and Prada
Current Designers on the Conceptual Edge
Tech Pioneer, Iris Van Herpen
Design Genius and Innovation
The Dominance of Athleisure
Sustainable Fashion and Climate Change
Pop Art Influence
Smart Fabrics: Designing the Future
Fashion Sketching & Illustration
In this module, you will learn the fashion illustration and rendering process, which will play an integral part in developing and communicating your design ideas visually.
– You will get to know various tools and techniques that are used in the illustration and rendering process.
– You will get the Knowledge and tips to communicate your ideas of components like hairstyles, colouring different skin tones, textile rendering through illustrations.
Tools Used for Fashion Illustration
Introduction To Digital Tools Used for Illustration
Preparing Your Illustrations
Drawing the Female Fashion Figure
Female Fashion Head
Rendering Figures in Colour
Drawing and Rendering Garment Details
Drawing Clothes on the Female Figure
Rendering Fall Garments
Illustrating Evening Wear
Research & Sketchbook
This module will skill you for understanding the different components of the apparel manufacturing process.
– You will learn about a sewing machine's parts, functioning and maintenance.
– You will learn about different components, parts and finishes that are used in the production of garments.
– It will help you evaluate and understand the quality parameters and standards that are followed in the industry.
The History of Sewing
Machine Orientation and Safety
Appropriate PPE for Sewing
The Importance of Measurements and Sewing
Sewing Quality and Fashion
Materials & Tools in Sewing
Operation of a Sewing Machine
Basic Sewing Elements
Closures & Fasteners
In this module you will learn about the various pattern making processes, & layout.
– You will learn about unconventional materials and tools that are used in the pattern making process.
– You will understand the terminologies associated with the process, which will help you communicate with the field experts.
– You will be introduced to the process of measuring a human body and understanding standard measurement charts.
Methods of Pattern Making
Flat Paper Pattern Making
Elements of Pattern Making
Tools and Terminologies
Measuring Human Body & Dress Form
Standard Measurement Chart
Fashion Draping Techniques
In this module, you will learn the process of positioning and pinning the fabric on a dressform that can be used to create the basic pattern or to design organically by playing with the fabric on the form.
– You will learn about the various tools and materials that will help you drape efficiently and get a desired outcome.
– You will learn about various steps involved in Pre-Preparation for draping, like taping the dress form, muslin preparation and fabric selection.
– You will also learn about the tips like pinning directions and grainline that will help you achieve quality outcomes.
Importance of Draping
Principles of Draping
Insight to Drape
Concept of Dress Form
Types of Dress Form
Sizes of Dress Form
Marking and Taping the Dress Form
Preparing the Block for Draping
Muslin Types, Preparation
Marking and Trueing
Preparing to Drape
Transferring Drape to Paper Pattern
Draping Round Necklines
Draping Basic Sleeves
Draping a Basic Skirt
Draping a Basic Dress
In this module, you will learn about surface ornamentation techniques, fabric manipulation, natural dyeing and indigenous printing.
– This will help you understand the transformation of art to modern fabrics ornamentation by various kinds of tools and techniques which come from various parts of the world.
– This module will help you study the various indigenous techniques and cultures that practice the same art in their own unique ways.
Materials & Tools
Indigenous Printing Techniques
Merchandising & Marketing
In this module you will learn the fundamental skills and acquire knowledge necessary to guide and operate in the real fashion industry in local and international realities.
– This will help you learn the basic theories of consumer behavior and psychology.
– You will understand various promotional and marketing strategies that are commonly used in the TCF industry.
History of Fashion Retail
Evolution of Supply Chains
Evolution of Manufacturing
History of Marketing
Evolution of Marketing
Fashion Marketing Today
The Marketing Mix
The 4 P's of Marketing Mix
The 4 C's of Marketing Mix
5 Important R's
Building Your Collection
This Module is an amalgamation of the topics learnt from the fundamentals of design, skills based and technical subjects that help you in collection development.
– You will learn about the fashion design process from conceptualisation, designing, range planning, sample development and launching your collection.
– This will help you to explore and understand the various career opportunities in the world of Fashion.
– You will learn to communicate and represent a fashion story.
Research and Analysis
Design Concept Sketch and Develop Ideas
Select Final Sketches
Colour Options and Rendering
Pattern Making and Draping
Sourcing Fabrics, Trims and Laces
Cutting and Sewing
Presenting Your Collection